Health and Wellness Centre
COVID -19 Reopening UPDATE!
Please review the information below in full.
Fairview Seniors’ Community is thrilled to welcome you back to the wellness centre! We have missed you during the past months and are eager to see you again.
As you may expect, we have some new procedures in place in order to keep everyone well and our facility safe. Participation rates are limited to allow for proper distancing. Programming times have been modified to allow increased cleaning. Entrances and exits are limited and monitored.
Pool and limited fitness programs will be available starting Monday September 28, 2020. The fitness room is undergoing extensive renovations, we excited for its grand opening later in the fall. Click HERE for pool schedule.
Please adhere to the following as you return:
- Wear your mask at minimum to and from programs and where tolerated during program times. (not required while swimming)
- Hand sanitize/wash upon entering and exiting the building and at other frequent intervals
- Maintain a physical distance from others
- Come dressed for your program (wear your bathing suit if attending the pool) – Change-rooms are available upon EXIT of the pool – showers are not currently available.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well or have had close contact with others not well
Online registration for programs is now available through myactivecentre.com. For now, members are limited to 2 pool classes per week. Fitness classes are not currently restricted. These limits may change as we assess participation. You must register for ALL classes you wish to attend (registering one week does not guarantee your registration for the same class next week)
In order to attend programs at Fairview Seniors’ Community:
- Register Online and Sign up for the class(es) you wish to attend
- Print and complete a new Passport for Healthy Living (copies available onsite if needed)
- Review the Self-Screening tool before each time you attend.
- Entering the building
- Pool: at the back-pool doors adjacent to the church
- Fitness Classes: At the front APARTMENT entrance
- Staff will open doors 5 minutes before your program, take your temperature, verify that you completed the self assessment and escort you directly into your program. Please wait patiently for staff to open these doors.
- Please exit the building immediately following you program.
Memberships will be extended based on your return date.
We are striving to keep our community safe, healthy and open. You can be part of this success!
Questions or Concerns? Please contact us at 519-653-5719
The Fairview Centre for Community Health & Wellness welcomes adults aged 55+ from Cambridge and surrounding areas. We offer programs and services to meet a wide variety of needs and interests.
Fairview Centre for Community Health & Wellness offers a wide range of services and amenities....more
- Accessible warm-water therapy pool
- Up-to-date fitness equipment
- Ample, FREE parking
- City bus stop at Langs Drive entrance
- General store and coffee shop
- Lovely dining room provides noon and evening meals
- Newly renovated washrooms including , showers & lockers in fitness area
- Auditorium and spacious meeting/activity rooms
- Bright, warm-water therapy pool with showers and change rooms
- Spacious games room, bowling alley, shuffleboard court, busy craft room
- Accessible bus and van to transport participants within Preston
Connections for Healthy Aging
“Connections for Healthy Aging” is a program of Fairview Centre for Community Health & Wellness funded through the Waterloo – Wellington Local Health Integration Network (WWLHIN), Aging At Home strategy....more
“Connections for Healthy Aging” supports physical fitness, proper nutrition and social engagement for adults 55+. Carried out in a supportive environment, improve your overall health & wellness through:
- Personal contact with a friendly Coordinator who will work with you to identify your goals and the resources to achieve them
- Access to experienced and qualified staff
- Transportation services (within Preston) to evening meals and various programs
- Health education and nutrition counseling
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of your success and health benefits – you are not on your own!
Fairview’s certified fitness staff is on-site to assist with your personal fitness program. You will find friendly, non-intimidating exercise equipment and fitness programs:
- Octane seated cross-trainer
- Elliptical machine
- Functional Trainer (cabled weight machine)
- Recumbent bicycle
- Leg press
- Free weights and Thera-bands
- Stretching area
Personal Fitness Coaching
For 10 sessions, a personal fitness coach will work with you to achieve your health and wellness goals. Meet with a qualified fitness coach to create a personalized fitness program, track your success and get support throughout your wellness journey. At no extra cost to your Full Access Membership. Call to set up your FREE orientation.
Get Fit for Active Living
“Get Fit for Active Living” is an 8 week exercise and education program for older adults developed by the Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging. The program will teach you how to get started on a regular exercise program and about the importance of healthy aging. Improve your functional mobility and independence. All participants will receive a health assessment. Exercise sessions will include a warm-up, low impact aerobics, strengthening & balance exercises, stretching and a cool down. Contact us for dates and fees.
All adults 55+ from Cambridge and the surrounding community are welcome to join the Fairview Centre for Community Health and Wellness....more
Full Access Membership
A Full Access Membership gives participants unlimited use of the programs and services offered at the Fairview Centre for Health & Wellness.
- Unlimited use of the Centre
- Orientation of the facility
- Reduced rate on meals
- Memberships are valid for 1 year from date of purchase.
10-Session Punch Pass
Fairview offers a 10-Session Punch Pass option to a Full Membership. Participants present their punch pass at each visit and a staff member will punch the pass. This is a good choice for those who wish to “try us out” or seasonal participants.
Have a friend or family member visiting from out of town? That is no reason to miss your health program – Bring them along! Non-members and guests can attend a Fairview Centre program for a drop in fee. Please contact Fairview (519-653-5719) to inquire about space availability and cost for your guest.
*Please note children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Not all programs can accommodate children. Please check pool schedule for days and times that children are welcome to use the pool.
If you need fee assistance, Fairview Centre for Community Health & Wellness provides subsidy or payment plans to qualifying individuals. Fee assistance is arranged on an individual basis. Please contact the Program Coordinator 519-653-5719 extension 4601 for further inquiries.
Nutritious Meals are served in the Fairview Centre Dining Room. Dinner is served daily at 12:00 noon and supper is served Monday – Thursday evenings at 5:00 pm. Menus are posted on various bulletin boards throughout the Centre. Sign up in the apartment lobby or by calling Reception before 1:00 pm the day before.
Join us for special evening meals such as:
- Customer Appreciation supper
- Family & Friends supper
- Supper Club
Fairview Centre for Health & Wellness provides programs and services to support older adults manage their chronic conditions. Programs and education opportunities are available for:
- Heart Conditions
- Post Stroke Rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation from knee, hip and bone fractures
Fairview Centre for Community Health & Wellness is proud of our fully accessible bus. The Fairview vehicles are used for a variety of functions:
- Trips to Zehrs
- Trips to Cambridge Centre Mall
- Transportation to various programs (within Preston)
- Please contact Reception (519-653-5719) for further details about specific transportation services.
Warm Water Therapy Pool
Fairview Centre for Community Health and Wellness has a warm therapy pool which has proved to be beneficial to people who need to maintain mobility and flexibility or to exercise after surgery.
The water is kept at 92 degrees Fahrenheit. There is easy access to the pool either via low rising steps or a chair lift. The shallow end is 2’ 8” deep and the deep end is 5’ deep. A handrail goes all the way around the pool which measures 16’ x 38’.
Bring a large towel along. Bathing suits are the attire to be worn. Bathing caps are optional. Water shoes or sandals are recommended to wear on the pool deck. Swimmers are required to shower before and after they use the pool.
Download your own copy of a printable 2019 pool schedule poster!
*Please note that Fairview does not have a Physiotherapist on staff. If you require specialized exercise therapy, please refer to an appropriate facility.