Fairview Seniors Community – or Fairview Mennonite Homes Inc. – is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that began as a dream of various Mennonite churches in what is now the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada.
The dream was to meet the total needs – physical, mental, spiritual – of older people who were in need. That need and vision was recognized by the Mennonite Church as early as 1905.
Fairview began in 1943, as Braeside Lodge, a retirement residence in a remodelled home at the corner of King and Eagle Streets in Preston. It opened with 5 people in residence. In the years that followed, Braeside grew and grew, and ran out of space. This prompted construction of a brand new facility at 799 Concession Road which opened in 1955. It could accommodate up to 80 residents. The facility has been changing ever since, as shown by the following dateline:
1978 – Independent Living Apartments and a Seniors’ Centre opened. Both were built on land donated by Eugene Langs.
1981 – Preston School Apartments on Duke Street in Preston was acquired by Fairview. PSA is a heritage school was converted to a seniors’ housing.
1995 – The original cottages were removed and replaced by the current Fairview Villas.
1999 – Fairview Mennonite Home, an 84-bed Long-Term Care facility, was finished. It replaced the old Nursing Home.
2001 – Original Nursing Home at 799 Concession Road was renovated and opened as Fairview Suites Retirement Home.
After nearly 75 years of service, Fairview continues to grow and prosper as we serve to meet the visions and needs of current and future tenants.