Fairview Parkwood Communities is continuing to plan for the coming days and weeks in response to the emerging impact of the omicron variant.
As you are aware, the Communities have implemented the Ministry Directives, as well as enhanced protocols. The decision to add further measures was difficult to make. However, given transmissibility of the omicron variant and the vulnerability of the residents, we felt these were necessary. Please know we are truly grateful for your support, recognizing everyone has a role to play in keeping our residents, caregivers, visitors and team members safe.
As you visit in the coming days, I would like to highlight the precautions implemented:
- Everyone will be rapid tested each day; all caregivers and visitors are asked to wait for a negative result in a designated area prior to your visit.
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay home.
- A resident may have up to two visitors (caregivers and visitors) at a time for indoor visits.
- Only visit with your loved one; refrain from visiting other residents in the home.
- If you would like to arrange a virtual visit, contact the home to make arrangements.
- Only fully vaccinated residents are permitted to go on short term social absences.
- Upon return the resident must pass active screening and will be isolated.
- On day 3, the resident will have a rapid test and a PCR test and a second PCR test on day 7.
- Isolation will end after a negative result for the second PCR test (on day 7).
- Consider the impact of taking your loved one out; we understand this is difficult given the holiday season, however please think about the risk when making your decision.
- Overnight absences for social purposes are suspended, regardless of vaccination status.
- Vaccines remain our best defence against covid-19 and omicron; the province has adjusted the eligibility to receive the booster dose to 84 days after a second dose.
- Fairview Parkwood Communities will host vaccination clinics:
- December 29th, 2021 – Parkwood
- December 30th, 2021 – Fairview
- Clinics are open for eligible caregivers and regular visitors and their immediate households.
- Only adult doses are available; spaces are limited (registration required).
- Contact the home for more details.
As the omicron variant has become Ontario’s dominant covid-19 strain, we must prepare for the oncoming impact of this wave, especially given the vulnerability of our population. As we learn more from health care leaders, we will continue to implement measures and enhanced protocols to protect the health and safety of our communities.
Thank you to you and your family for all your sacrifices over the past two years. Your dedication, commitment and support deserve our deepest gratitude and admiration.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or a member of the leadership team.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season, and a safe, healthy new year.
Elaine Shantz, CEO